Water Spill Laptop Damage

Notebook Repair for spilll water laptop damage


Here I Explain how I repair my notebook LCD screen with water damage.
It is major problem as water or tea spilled in laptop or laptop keyboard. Laptop water damage is common issue. If you are facing problem about spilled water on the laptop.If water goes inside the LCD screen and it will create dot or stains on the screen. It is vary noticeable with white background. It also happen if dust inside the lcd screen.

To fix these problems You need to open LCD screen.
Note: The LCD screen is vary costly and soo be careful before doing this thing as it can be easily damaged if you make mistake. Continue at your own risk.
I will explain here how to troubleshoot laptop water damage for Dell Latitude D610 notebook. And how to open uninstall lcd screen of laptop.

First disconnect AC adaptor and remove battery from notebook

Water Damage To Laptop

Lift up rubber screw seals marked with red round in image and remove all screws inside there.



Carefully separate the screen bezel from the LCD cover and remove the bezel. You can unlock them with nails or a small flathead screwdriver



Remove two more screws from the front and two screws from both sides marked as red round.

Now carefully remove the LCD screen from the cover and place it on safe place. Disconnect the video cable and the inverter board cable it is connected at two placed as show red arrow.


In This dell laptop model the inverter board(glass type) is attached to the screen with two screws. Remove both screws, disconnect the screen cable and remove the inverter board.



Carefully peel off sticky tape and foil and put it aside. You’ll have to put it back in place during the lcd screen reassembly.

Remove two screws from both sides of LCD screen.

Carefully place the screen. Carefully unglue the film that covers the circuit board and remove two screws from the board (top circles. Do not touch the pcb circuit with fingers.

After both screws are removed you can lift up the circuit board. But it is still attached to the LCD.

Start separating the metal frame from the screen. There are a lot of latches on all sides of the screen. You can unlock them with nails or a small flathead screwdriver.



Now you have lcd screen into three part: metal frame, LCD and background (rest of the parts).
If dust is there inside the screen, it can be between the LCD and the background. Do not clean lcd or background with your fingers. Remove dust with a very soft cloth.

After I split the screen I found that the background has a few some kinds of optical layers (three transparent sheets) and in my case they were damaged by water. The water dried out and left stains between these optical layers.

Very carefully separate the LCD with attached circuit board from the background

To remove damaged optical layers it’s necessary to remove metal locks on both sides of the screen. It’s like a small clip that keeps layers in place.

After I removed both clips, I was able to look between the layers. At first I tried to clean up the dried water marks with a soft cloth but it didn’t help. The stains were still visible and didn’t want to go away.
Fortunately I had another similar screen lying around, it had a cracked LCD. I decided to borrow the optical layers from the cracked screen and transfer them to my screen. I wasn’t sure if it’s going to work, but as I mentioned before I didn’t really care if I break the screen. It was just an experiment.
So I disassembled the cracked screen and carefully transferred the white background and all transparent layers to my screen.

After that I assembled my screen back removing dust and lint with a very soft cloth. Breathlessly connected my new screen to the notebook. Turned it on and…
That’s a miracle, it works!
No dust, no lint, no water mars inside the screen! It’s clear and the background is absolutely clean!